Twitter #ldsconf growl
When Joel threw out the challenge (in 2008) to mashup twitter and the video service this is what I had in my mind. Being able to be on the video page and have the tweets show up growl like.
I didn't quite get it by the afternoon session, but here is my attempt. Thanks to the awesome power of jQuery and the growl plugin.
It takes a little more work then the other great solutions already published, but hopefully this one is a little more elegant with just the one page to follow.
In most browsers just drag the link below to your browser toolbar (with other bookmarks)... done!! IE7 users will need to right click and choose "Add to favorites..." and then put in the "links" folder.
#ldsconf2 - new version that is a little prettier but appears to not work in IE7 at the moment (works but loads at the bottom where you can't see it). Try at your own risk :)
Go to the video page (or any page on the internet for that matter that isn't fancy like gmail etc) and when the page is done loading click the #ldsconf link in your toolbar. It may take a few seconds to load things up, but the last 15 tweets with #ldsconf in it will load by default, and then every 10 seconds after that it will check for anything new and display it if there are any.
This has been tested on FF3 on Windows/Mac, Safari Mac and IE7.
I may make some more tweaks to it after priesthood. Email me at ldsconf at zbarkers dot com or twitter me at zelph
I haven't gotten any feedback on it yet, but it works for me thus far. So no promises of it's working, but hopefully it should.
- Added twitterers image. Sometimes we know people more by thier pic then their name. It's small to not distract but hopefully still big enough to recognize.
- Hover for full opacity. You can't really tell on the video's site but each message is a little see through. Hover over it to make it not see through.
- Click image added above to go to profile. Yeah that's pretty self explanatory. Opens in new window.
- At the request of @bobthecow, you can now use this for other hashTags. It's just a bit techincal to do it for now. After you have the bookark on your toolbar you will need to edit it. Look for "z.id='ldsconf'" and change ldsconf to whatever tag you want to follow. You can have multiple copies of the bookmar on your toolbar for various hashTags. No clue how multiple will work at the same time, so I'd suggest not trying it :)
- Added username option in Options > Advanced Options. If you provide your username, the script will download your friends list and then
mark any tweets from your friends in Red and any tweets from you in Green. This hasn't been tested with a ginormous friends list (~500 did fine), so be careful. It currently will NOT parse through displayed tweets. It will only apply to new ones that display after you make the change. - Friend marking can't work for now due to some really lame issues in the Twitter API. Hopefully fixed for next conference.
- Addedthe ability to set some options for personalization. You can change the font size (@joeldehlin), the width (@bobthecow), how long tweets stay on the page, how often it checks for new tweets and if new tweets are appended to the top or bottom.
- Reversed order to have new at the top like V1 had.
- Now uses jGrowl
- Anchors and hashtags are now linked up.
- Intial release and several tweaks